Ranaut, who had said she feared Mumbai Police after the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput and likened the Maharashtra capital to Pakistan occupied Kashmir, thanked Union Home Minister Amit Shah and declared that no one could crush a patriot.
The decision to provide 24X7 security comes two days before Ranaut, who is in her home state Himachal Pradesh, plans to visit Mumbai on September 9. Her comments, including on drug use in the section of the film industry, led to a bitter row with Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut, and many more joining in with their views.
She is the first Bollywood actor who will be guarded by CRPF commandos, an official privy to the development said. Here is all you want to know about security cover provided by the government.
- The process of security cover
Central Reserve Police Force(CRPF) and Central Industrial Security Force(CISF) are the two forces tasked with providing security to VIPs. While ministers get Central security cover due to their position in the government, a call on such security to private individuals is taken by the Home Ministry based on inputs from intelligence agencies. However, since these agencies do not report to any statutory body, VIP security has sometimes been alleged to be a political decision rather than one based on real threat.
- Different types of security cover
There are six kinds of central security covers: X, Y, Y plus, Z, Z plus and SPG. While the
Special Protection Groupwith an annual budget of about Rs 600 crore protects only the Prime Minister, the other categories can be provided to anyone based on the Centre’s assessment.
- Currently, people provided with security
As per a response by the Union government in the Lok Sabha in March 2018, around 300 people were being provided security under various categories in the central list.
- How the security cover works
This is how central security covers in India work according to a Bureau of Police Research and Development report:
* X category: Two personal security officers round the clock, which means around six PSOs assuming an 8-hour shift.
* Y category: Two PSOs and an armed guard at residence round the clock and additional security at night. That means about 11 personnel (5 for static duty and 6 for personal security) will work over shifts for Ranaut.
* Z category: Involves about 22 personnel including 2 to 8 armed guards at residence, two PSOs round the clock and an armed escort of 1 to 3 for all road journeys.
* Z+ category: In addition to Z category security arrangements, protectees under this category get a bulletproof car, escort in three shifts and additional security when required.